A Principal/Teacher/District Administer

Emie Story, Staff Writer

Imagine waking up and not having to leave to go to work or school. What would you do with your time? Would you miss working or the people you saw daily?  Retirement brings up these questions.

Dr. Irene Story is a retired elementary teacher/principal/district administrator.  She was a teacher for 13 years (1985-1998), a principal at Hobbs Elementary School for five years (1998-2003), and a district administer as the Assistant Director of Instruction/Staff Development, (2003-201) until she retired.

“The biggest challenge as a principal was building positive relationships between me and my staff, students, and parents, as well as with other administrators in the district,” said Dr. Story. Dr. Story was the principal at Hobbs Elementary during the 9/11 crisis in New York City. To make the students and staff feel safe she started each Friday morning with a school assembly where they pledged to the flag and sang a couple patriotic songs leg by the 5th and 6th grade students who wanted to lead the students on the stage.

As the Assistant Director of  Instruction Dr. Story was in charge of staff development. Staff development is time set aside for teachers and other staff members to improve, reflect, or work on the craft of teaching.

In retirement, Dr. Story enjoys her time with her family, traveling with my grandfather and family, camping, and reading. She also teaches violin. She is active in Delta Kappa Gamma, an organization for key women educators as well as Laramie County Retired Education Personnel.